Short Hiatus

I’ve haven’t been too active on the old interweb lately! I’ve become involved with a few fledgling business ventures that have been demanding more and more of my time. While the posts have been sparse, learning opportunities have been abundant. I hope to draw out some valuable nuggets to share with the Endeavor Community in the coming weeks. One lesson I’d like to share is that of patience and acceptance.

I’m a pretty amiable person and I get along with (and generally like) 80%-90% of the people I come in contact with (clients, co-workers, family, etc.). However, one of the business endeavors I’m involved in requires me to rely on someone that I’m not a real big fan of. They fall in the the other 10%-20% of people that I don’t naturally relate too.  I think we all encounter these folks from time to time and working closely with them can be a challenge.

In my head I’m completely aware of the fact that everyone has value and something to offer the world. Taking that knowledge from your head to your heart is tough. Applying that knowledge, is even more challenging. As a result, I’ve really struggled to remain enthusiastic about our new partnership. I’ve worked hard to be patient and accepting. Working hard to practice what I teach and coach others to do. It’s been tough but it’s been worth it.

At times it can feel like drilling a well in the dessert. Generally unpleasant with occasional moments of refreshment and enjoyment. Last night during one of our weekly calls, that drilling lead to some real refreshment. An unplanned conversation topic opened the door for a flood of knowledge. In about 20 minutes I received a crash course in on-line marketing. Some of the insights he shared might have cost me a few hundred dollars if he’d shared them at a seminar. I received more value than I would have ever imagined. That 20 minutes alone has been worth the time and effort invested. That doesn’t account for the additional insights and knowledge I’ve garnered along the way or the value he’s providing to the business. The experience has affirmed what I’ve known and practiced for years: investing in people yields rewards that are seldom seen at at the beginning of the relationship. 

My Big Takeaways:

  • Everyone deserves a chance.
  • Everyone should be treated with respect.
  • Put in the effort to understand various points of view.
  • Don’t let your feelings or discomfort deter you from your goals.
  • Be prepared for unexpected teaching moments. Stay engaged, listen, take notes, absorb, and apply the knowledge.
  • Behavior and actions should be the foundation for trust, not commonality.
  • Everyone is uniquely gifted. To benefit from each persons unique gifting requires us to look beyond the superficial. 

I hope this post helps you rise above the small things that can keep us from building valuable relationships and achieving our goals.

-Dave

Advertisements